Do you have trouble coming up with "masculine" card ideas? Do you find yourself over-thinking the whole process and then getting stuck? It happens a lot. I used to have the same problem, until I learned a few tips along the way:
- If the card is for a fun occassion, such as a birthday, then it's okay for the card to be fun! It doesn't have to be a card with an image of a tree off in the distance. Save those for more somber occasions.
- Use some hardware. Simple brads and eyelets (small or jumbo size) work incredibly well, as does Hodgepodge Hardware.
- Instead of ribbon, use Hemp Twine or Twill Tape. Customize twill tape by stamping or applying rub-ons directly to the twill, or dye the twill using re-inkers.
- Rough it up. Use techniques such as tearing, sanding and distressing.
- Use punches or dies to create basic shapes: circles, ovals, squares, arrows, stars, even leaves.
- Give it some texture. Embossing powders, embossing folders and texture plates will give your projects interesting patterns and detail. These can be as subtle or as prominent as you like.
Today's "manly" birthday card was created for a teen nephew. I kept it fairly simple, but added enough texture and detail to make it interesting, fun and special. A few basic punches and the new Punch Bunch stamp set (one of the free sale-a-bration products) gave me a great starting point for this card. Then I simply added a bit of texture in the background and a small strip of patterned paper anchored down with metallic brads.
As an added bonus, now that the design work is done, this card can be created very easily and fairly quickly too. This makes it ideal for making several at once to have on hand.
Do you have a favorite tip you have learned that helps you to create "masculine" cards? Please share it here in the comments. Crafty tips are such a good thing to share!
Thanks for visiting!
To order Stampin' Up! products online, CLICK HERE.
PUNCH BUNCH BIRTHDAY CARD SUPPLY LISTStamps: Punch Bunch (W-121847, C-123211, sale-a-bration reward product choice)
Ink: Baja Breeze (111833), More Mustard (103162), Cherry Cobbler (119669)
Paper: Baja Breeze (111352, Very Vanilla (101650), More Mustard (100946), Cherry Cobbler (119685), Elegant Soirée Designer Series Paper (117163)
Tools: Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (113439), Square Lattice embossing folder (119976), Photo Corners punch (119878), 1-3/4" Circle punch, Scallop Square punch (119884)
Accessories: Metallic Brads (119741), Sponge Daubers (1028925), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)