Just Because


Happy Monday! And Happy New Year!! I hope you had a terrific holiday season. It's great to be back in the studio creating and sharing what I love with you! While I don't typically make New Year's resolutions, I do feel that the new year is a great time for new beginnings and reawakening.

There are years that ask questions and years that answer.
~Zora Neale Hurston

For 2011, I am determined to learn, grow and challenge myself in new directions - personally and creatively. I'll be trying out new ideas, techniques and strategies. You'll see some of that here and the rest will be "behind the curtain" so to speak. If you notice a few changes - let me know what you think! I love to read your comments.


Today's card was inspired by last week's Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge (MOJO171). Although I usually stick to standard sized cards (4-1/4" x 5-1/2"), I really liked the sketch and was inspired immediately! (See? I'm already stretching in new directions. hee!)  AND over the last two months, I've received LOTS of new goodies to play with. Woo Hoo! Seriously, who doesn't love to play with new goodies?!


Click on images to enlarge
 Details, please.
The overall card size is 5" x 5" and starts with Very Vanilla for the base. Then I've added layers of Not Quite Navy and more Vanilla, topped off with the luscious Elegant Soiree Designer Series Paper. The ornate frame was stamped with VersaMark and embossed with black embossing powder. I carefully hand CUT that baby and then broke out my new Distressing Essentials Kit to add a pop of color and some "tea stains" around the edges. The Tea Stain and Blue Vintage Inks (from the kit) were applied using an Aqua Painter. (I smeared the ink spot on a clear block and then picked up the ink with the Aqua Painter.)

The bird was created using the Blue Vintage Ink Spot, but I lightly sprayed the inked up stamp with a spritz of water, before stamping onto Very Vanilla. COOL effect, eh? The sentiment was also stamped using the Blue Vintage ink, but full strength. Then I carefully hand CUT both the bird and the sentiment. This helps to explain why you didn't see this card sooner. hee! And who in the world could create this ornate masterpiece without stickin' on some pearls? Not me. You like? I like! 

Squee Alert!
The new Mini is here! The new Mini is here! And Sale-a-bration too!! SQUEE!!! Did you get yours? Did you see what's in there?! SWOON! The new Mini goes live TOMORROW - yippee! How big is your wish list? Mine is moderately huge. hee!  If you DID NOT receive the new 2011 Occasions Mini Catalog or the 2011 Sale-a-bration brochure (you poor thing) and you live in the U.S., CONTACT ME right away and I will send them to you pronto! Disclaimer: If you already have a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, please check with her to find out where your dang catalog is! ;) Just kidding. But do check with her. Thank you.

Need goodies?

Just Because Supply List

Stamps: Notably Ornate (Wood-117098, Clear-120561)
Ink: VersaMark (102283), Distressing Essentials Kit - Vintage Ink Spots (118762)
Paper: Very Vanilla (101650), Not Quite Navy (101722), Elegant Soiree (117163)
Tools/Accessories: Embossing Buddy (103083), Black Emboss Powder (109133), Heat Tool (100005), Aqua Painter (103954), Sponge Daubers (102892), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), Modern Label punch (119849), Basic Pearls (119247)

Comments