Saturday, April 30, 2011

Spring Flowers In A Message For Mom

Stampin' Up! Peace Within Messages For Mom

I'm celebrating Spring and Mother's Day all at once today. And I'm knocking out two challenges at the same time ... woo hoo!  The theme over at SUO Challenges is Mother's Day and the So Shelli Creative Challenge for April is "springtime", so I think this card pretty much covers it.

The focal image is from the stamp set Peace Within and I just love it. If you like watercoloring, this is a great set to have. I'm really starting to have a lot more fun with watercoloring lately. I also used the Messages For Mom stamp set, which I really like because it's quite versatile. In addition to the fab artwork, it has several sentiments appropriate for numerous occasions - and they don't even have to be for Mom!

Messages For Mom stamp set by Stampin' Up!

Watercoloring 101
For best results when watercoloring, I have two major bits of advice:
#1 - Use quality watercolor paper. Yes, it costs more. Yes, it matters. Look for thick (90 lb. or higher), cotton, cold-pressed paper. Stampin' Up! Watercolor Paper (#105019) is 100% cotton pulp, cold-pressed, 140 lb. and comes precut (3-3/4" x 5") with 20 sheets per package.
#2 - Use StazOn ink or "wet" emboss images first. StazOn is permanent ink that dries quickly and won't run or smear during watercoloring. This is the best choice for images that have very fine, detailed artwork. Another option is to emboss the image with embossing powder. Once you've heat set it, the embossed image is ready for watercoloring. This method works very well for less intricate images.
Class dismissed! Ha!!

cardmaking watercoloring techniques and tips

For today's card, I used both an Aqua Painter and a Blender Pen along with classic ink pads to color my image (stamped using StazOn).  The basket has several "layers" of color. Always start with the lightest color first and continue to add darker layers, letting each layer dry a bit between applications.

I snipped off a corner of my watercolor paper, then used the distressing tool from the Cutter Kit to rough up the edges all around. The template in the Mat Pack provided the nifty pierced pattern in the corner of my Marina Mist layer behind it.

Ribbon Trick
I figured out a little ribbon trick while making this card. I wanted the ribbon to wrap around the background piece, but I wanted both "tail ends" of the ribbon on top of the background piece. I solved this dilemma by punching a hole in the background piece for the ribbon to thread through. It's completely hidden by the focal image layers and my ribbon looks just as I imagined. Gotta love when THAT happens!

Thanks for visiting. Let me know you were here ... leave a quick comment!
xoxo


 
To order Stampin' Up! products online CLICK HERE.

SPRING FLOWERS IN A MESSAGE FOR MOM
Stamps: Peace Within (W-114312), Messags For Mom (W-117016, C-118580)
Ink: Marina Mist (119668),  Daffodil Delight (119667), Old Olive (102277),  Pumpkin Pie (105216), Real Red (103133), Chocolate Chip (100908), So Saffron (105213), Jet Black StazOn (101406)
Paper: Marina Mist (119682), Whisper White (100730), Watercolor Paper (105019),
Tools: Aqua Painter (103954), Blender Pens (102845), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), Mat Pack (105826), Paper-Piercing Tool (116631), Cutter Kit (106958)
Accessories: Daffodil Delight 1-1/4" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon (119770)

3 comments:

  1. What a darling card!! Your watercoloring is lovely. Plus you have some great tips to make it easier. Thanks for joining us at SUO Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your watercoloring is truly stunning and your tips are fantastic! Beautiful card! So glad you joined us at SUO Challenges this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful coloring and color combo! Thanks for playing SUO Challenges.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for commenting! I read every single one and try my best to respond back. xoxo