Handmade Gifts: Framed Beautiful Butterflies

This wall hanging was created for a very special birthday present, but it would make a wonderful holiday gift as well. And I'll let you in on a little secret ... shhhhh ... it is SO EASY to create with just a few craft supplies.

Handmade Artwork - Rubber Stamping & Die Cut Butterflies

Start with a nice frame of any size. Mine measured approx. 7-1/4" x 14-1/4" overall, and the opening measured approx. 4-3/4" x 11-3/4". While some frames have one or two pieces of cardboard "inside", mine didn't, but it had a mat for two photos (and the glass). I chucked the mat and created my own backing piece using the white cardboard that comes in a package of Stampin' Up! Designer Series Paper.

Now for the artwork! For the background, I chose a sheet of First Edition Specialty Designer Series Paper. NOTE: While I could have chosen the butterfly page (hello!) or even the page with the flowers, I chose the "K" page because the gift was going to someone who's name starts with "K". I'm clever like that. HA!

Artwork Featuring Just Believe Stamp Set by Stampin' Up!

Using an image from the Just Believe stamp set and More Mustard ink, I stamped the image in the corner. On the opposite side, I added a length of the gorgeous Victoria Crochet Trim.

To create the butterflies, I die-cut them all using the Big Shot with the Beautiful Butterflies Bigz Die and the Beautiful Wings Embosslits Die. I added texture to a few of the "plain" ones with the Perfect Polka Dots and Vintage Wallpaper Embossing Folders. All the butterflies were sponged around the edges and/or on the embossed areas. They were attached to the project using Multipurpose Liquid Glue.

Stampin' Up! Butterfly Die Cuts & Embosslits

HIP TIP: I used Dotto on the butterflies initially, so I could play around with the placement and move them around. Once I had the placement just right, I lifted one at a time to permanently glue it down.

See? I told you it was easy. And it was fun too! OH! And the birthday girl LOVED her custom handmade gift! She has an accent wall in a beautiful copper color and this frame looks awesome on her wall.

Okay ... let's fire up those Big Shots and start crankin' out those butterflies! You DO have a Big Shot right? If not (gasp!) give me a holler ... I happen to know where you can get one for FREE this month!

xoxo


To order Stampin' Up! products online 24/7 CLICK HERE

Today's project featured the following Stampin' Up! products:

Stamps: Just Believe (W-116948, C-120453)
Ink: More Mustard (103162), Cajun Craze (119671), Crumb Cake (121030)
Paper: More Mustard (100946), Cajun Craze (119684), Crumb Cake (120953), First Edition Specialty Designer Series Paper (121878)
Tools: Big Shot Die-Cutting Machine (113439), Beautiful Butterflies Bigz Die (114507), Beautiful Wings Embosslits Die (118138), Perfect Polka Dots Embossing Folder (117335), Vintage Wallpaper Embossing Folder (120175), Sponge Daubers (102892), Dotto (103305), Multipurpose Liquid Glue (110755)
Accessories: Jewels-Basic Pearls (119247), Victoria 5/8" Crochet Trim (118481)

A big THANK YOU to Karen Altizer for her inspirational design.


Comments

  1. This is beautiful!!! I will be featuring this project on My Crafty Picks #39 with a link back to your blog on 10-23-11. Make sure to stop by to check out all the picks and to pick up your blog badge to display on your blog for being featured!!

    If you wish to decline please email me by responding to this comment to let me know.

    Thanks and take care
    Tiffany Bauer
    http://www.mycraftyworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. I'm going to make one this weekend! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! I'm trying to make one of these for my bathroom, but I'm a 100%-complete-newbie at paper crafts! Can you tell me how you managed to curve the edges of your butterflies so they didn't lay flat to the base, but they also didn't get any creases in them? I wanted mine to look like they were popping out of the frame, as yours does.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Card stock will show some slight creasing (mine did), but the process of embossing them breaks down the paper fibers somewhat so they are more flexible and easier to bend (and the creases aren't as noticeable).

      The smaller butterflies were adhered to the project (flat) using a very small dot of glue in the center or to one side. Once the glue dried, I slid my fingernail under a wing and gently lifted it up (very slightly) and away from the paper below.

      For the larger butterflies, try this trick: Wrap the larger butterflies around a small round bottle (like nail polish or travel size spray bottle). The paper will curve and bend, instead of crease and fold. Then you can adhere them to the project.

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. What A BEAUTY!!!! I Loooove iiiit!!! And I actually have those dies. Every time I find a project I Just love. I don't have the items to make the project. I sure will case this one and give it as Gifts.Oh and I also have Two frames Like that At home right now waiting to be used. how exciting is that. I baught mine at walmart for 3.00!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much Laura! I'm so glad you were inspired and can duplicate the project so easily. Happy Creating!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for commenting! I read every single one and try my best to respond back. xoxo