All That Glitters Is Gold (And Black)

Gold foil birthday card with black glitter polka dots! #cardmaking #stampinup #stampingville

A funny thing happened on the way to creating this gold and black glittery birthday card.

It's not the usual "look how my mistake turned out to be something cool". Oh no. It's more like "my mind is mush lately and I keep forgetting things and now that I've made this card I want to give proper credit and, oh hey look, this was actually a challenge and I'm still in time!"  Duh.

So anywhoooo ... Cath at Moxie Fab World featured a bunch of photos showing off the super hot design trend of using gold and then issued the All That Glitters is Gold Challenge. The photos are loaded with inspiration, but this one stopped me in my tracks:

Pointed toe flats in metallic gold with black polka-dots
Photo Source

Not only are those shoes adorable, but how clever is that photography? Gah! I saved the picture for later and went about my business. Fast forward two weeks, when I run across the photo and decide to sit right down and create.

I wanted to create a card that looked just like those shoes and the Stampin' Up! Gold Foil Sheets were the perfect solution for the backdrop. Then, in a moment of sheer stupidity genius, I decided the black spots should be glittered. (I have a love/hate relationship with glitter. Love the sparkle. Hate the mess. I've called in hazmat for the craft room.)

Close-up of gold embossed greeting and glitter spots


For the glittered spots, I applied black cardstock to a piece of the Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets, punched out the circles, peeled away the backing, pressed the sticky circles into a pile of Ultrafine Black Glitter, and presto - easily glittered spots! (Bad pun intended.) 

With my finished card in hand, I went to find the proper photo source, and lo and behold, it's a challenge! Well, I'll be darned - I plum forgot.

The moral of the story for you is that inspiration can be found in many places: fashion, decor, and nature to name a few. The moral of the story for me is that I need to keep better track of fun challenges because I'm not usually this lucky!

p.s. You've still got time to play in this challenge - the deadline is Monday, October 7th.

p.p.s. I love how shiny that gold foil is, but man it's hard to photograph without getting weird reflections. Egads.

Happy Friday!







Let's go shopping!
Click below to shop online for Stampin' Up! products




Today's project featured the following Stampin' Up! products:
Stamps: Four You (W-130535, C-130538)
Ink: Gold Metallic Encore Pad (132141)
Paper: Basic Black (121045), Gold Foil Sheets (132622)
Tools: Heat Tool (129053), Embossing Buddy (103083), Gold Stampin' Emboss Powder (109129), Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets (120805), 3/4" Circle Punch (119873)
Accessories: Black & Orange Stampin' Glitter (132206)


Have you subscribed to the Stampingville newsletter?
In addition to exclusive monthly projects and tips, subscribers also receive my 12 Weeks of Christmas Project Series with step-by-step instructions to create holiday cards, gifts, tags, and wraps.
This popular series starts October 1st, but only for Stampingville subscribers. Subscribe now here.




Did you enjoy today's project? Share your comments below!

Got friends? 
Click the icons below to share on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook and Google +1

Comments

  1. Hey Gayle! Thanks for linking this up to the All That Gitters is Gold challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you SO MUCH for commenting! I read every single one and try my best to respond back. xoxo